Related Page

History
 

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL:
Big things have small beginnings. Rotary's Founder, Paul Harris, a Chicago lawyer, felt somewhat lost in the large city, so he invited three friends to lunch at his office on February 23, 1905. Each week, they began rotating between offices for lunch, and this is how the name "Rotary" was established. Today, there are 1.2 million Rotarians in 168 countries, 530 Districts and almost 30,000 individual Rotary Clubs. Rotary International is the largest service organization in the world. 

THE ROTARY CLUB OF SCOTTSDALE:
The Rotary Club of Scottsdale was chartered on February 26, 1954. The Club's first seasonal meeting places were Lulu Belle, The Valley Ho Hotel and the Camelback Inn (pictured at right). The first community projects were Educational Scholarships. These scholarships continue today as Scottsdale Rotary's longest standing community service. The First President was Roland "Rolly" Feltman. 

Acclaimed Members:
25 Scottsdale Chamber of Commerce Presidents, 18 Inductees to the Scottsdale History Hall of Fame, Ten Past Presidents of the Boys & Girls Club, Charter Member Earl Shipp, Centenarian Charlie Minning, Artist Robert T. McCall, WWII Ace and Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient Joe Foss, Rotary International Director Rodger Wagner, Scottsdale Mayor Herb Drinkwater, every Mayor since Herb, and hundreds of the Valley's business and community leaders.

Notable Speakers:
Senator Barry Goldwater, Senator John McCain, Broadcaster Hugh Downs, Vice President Dan Quayle, Actor Pat O'Brien, Medal of Honor Recipients Joe Foss & Fred Ferguson, Former Interior Secretary James Watt, California Governor Pete Wilson, every Arizona Governor since and including Bruce Babbitt, Congressman John Shadegg, Congressman J.D. Hayworth, Sportscaster Joe Garagiola, Arizona Diamondbacks & Phoenix Suns Owner Jerry Colangelo, ASU Coaches Frank Kush and Dirk Koetterer and most Arizona politicians and Valley leaders of note since 1954.




Camelback Inn 

 Charter Night 1954                                       1st Meeting RCS 1954