Bob & Louise McCall Visual Arts Scholarship: Adam Montoya Business Scholarship: Alec Faubion & Elizabeth Munoz Norval O. Tyler Scholarship: Daisy Barrera & Alonz Hollis Science-Technology Scholarship: Morgan Freed & Collin Lewin Performing Arts Scholarship: Renee Rule & Jeremy Yampolsky Vocational-Trade Scholarship: Lauren Anderson & Anju Bhujel Athletics Scholarship: Megan Reniewicki & Lily Sandblom President's Scholarship: Lawrence Lessig
ROTARY CLUB OF SCOTTSDALE
Scottsdale Unified School District Scholarships
Class of 2017
- Be a graduating senior attending one of the five Scottsdale Unified School District high schools.
- Complete the scholarship application.
- Enroll in and attend an accredited university, college, community college, vocational or technical school by autumn, 2017.
- Be nominated by your school in one of the six scholarship categories described below.
- Provide recommendations from two teachers or other adults who are familiar with your activities with respect to the sole category in which you are applying for a scholarship.
- Attend the interview described below at the scheduled date and time.
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens and disclose scholarship dollars awarded to them on or before April 26th.
One $10,000 Scholarship [one time only - paid out over one year] for the Bob and Louise McCall Visual Arts Scholarship prize:
Please provide the following:
- Rotary Club of Scottsdale standard application form
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Two letters of reference from visual arts teachers, one of which should be current
- One letter of character reference (total of three letters)
- CD/DVD or USB Flash Drive of photographs of your portfolio with an index of title, medium and size
- A one-page essay addressing the question "What is your passion in the visual arts and what would this scholarship mean to you to advance in the visual arts?"
One $2,500 Scholarship [one time only - paid out over one year] for the Col. Park Shaw Scholarship
Students interested in military and/or first responder service training or studies.
Ten Scholarships [to be paid out over two years] - One 1st Place $7,500 and One 2nd Place $5,000 in each of the following categories:
- Vocational/Trade Programs - technical and applied educational 2 year non-B.A. programs - students seeking careers in such fields as culinary service, police work, firefighting, health services, bookkeeping, secretarial services, agriculture, automotive repair, etc.
- Performing Arts - drama, song, dance, orchestra, band, choir, chorus, etc.
- Athletics - accomplishments in school-sponsored team sports.
- Science/Technology - students seeking careers in all scientific and computer fields such as the sciences (chemistry, physics, biology, etc.), mathematics, computer hardware & software, and technology, etc.
- Business - Provide a 2-page Business Plan* summary that discusses the following:
1. Name and Category of the Business: Consumer goods? Technology? Service?
2. Description of Business Idea: Why would it be successful? What need does it fulfill or create?
3. Marketing: the product/service to your customers?
4. Competition: by other companies & their products/services?
5. Operations: how proceed with research & development, manufacturing, selling?
6. Management Team: what professionals do you need on your team and why?
7. Financial Projections: 5-year forecast of gross revenue (selling price x # units sold), costs and net profits.
*weblink for sample business plans & discussion: [http://www.sba.gov/smallbusinessplanner/plan/writeabusinessplan/index.html]
One $1,000 Scholarship [one time only - paid out over one year] for the Norval O. Tyler Scholarship, will be awarded to the best overall scholarship applicant runner-up .
Instructions for Nominations, Deadline & Mailing:
Each school may nominate no more than two persons in each category.
Deadline: All nominations must be emailed or sent to the Rotary Club of Scottsdale, postmarked no later than Tuesday, April 18, 2017.
Counselors: This year all submissions should be made online to the email address of ScottsdaleScholarship@gmail.com. Only in the category of Visual Arts we are accepting paper copies and/or disks drives. Mailing Address: PO Box 5633 Scottsdale, AZ 85261.
Time, Place & Presentation for Interviews:
Nominees will meet at 5:00 PM on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 on the second floor of the English Building (bldg. B) at Chaparral High School, located on the southwest corner of Gold Dust Avenue and 70th Street, Scottsdale. Nominees should bring samples of their work [trophies, medals, videos, instrument, etc.] to the interview or actually perform. Students should wear appropriate attire and expect a 10-minute interview with 4-6 interviewers to complement their earlier scholarship award application. Applicants will be interviewed in the order they check-in that evening.
Awarding of Scholarships:
Scholarship recipients will be announced at high school Senior Awards Programs. Scholarship recipients also agree to attend a Rotary Club of Scottsdale meeting this Spring/Summer. Scholarships will be paid to the educational institutions on the winners’ behalf.
Note of Gratitude:
The Rotary Club of Scottsdale wishes to thank the generosity of Bob and Louise McCall and the Virginia G. Piper Foundation for establishing the Bob and Louise McCall Visual Arts Scholarship Prize, to Peter G. Fish for his generous contribution, and to Helen Tyler for her participation and sponsorship of the Norval O. Tyler Memorial Scholarship Award.
Please direct them to your school counselor.
Are you interested in endowing an annual scholarship? Please contact The Scottsdale Rotary Club Foundation President at the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org